Recap Week of 1.2.17 – 1.8.17

So, just got back from a snowboarding trip in Crested Butte, CO yesterday and I was freekin beat. It was easier to just get a run in after we got home and then lounge around watching the Golden Globes. No way was I sitting at the computer to write after that weekend! Perfect conditions =  Insane amounts of snowboarding.
Seriously perfect conditions:
Top of a few trails at Crested Butte, CO 1.7.17
But on to the running part…
Monday 1.2.17
6 miles at 60-75% with a focus on staying relaxed. I’m getting better at taking these easy days much more carefully as altitude running for me has required smarter recovery. Coach nailed that way back and over the last few months, with health improving, I’ve done my best not to push like I used to. I don’t need to be in the fatigue hole again.
Tuesday 1.3.17
8 miles with 5 progression. This being the first speed work since the reset, I’m not feeling the turnover quite yet. But, I don’t worry. The rule with me is that I need two weeks of speed before I notice that’s it’s back.
Wednesday 1.4.17
Cross training day with Yoga. Flexibility and me have never been friends. I took dance classes up through early high school and it helped a bit, but when I stopped that and didn’t do Yoga yet, I was in knots. I need Yoga at least once per week. It’s an hour class at my climbing gym and I’m just getting back into it, so it’s rough. But Yoga soreness is good pain!
Thursday 1.5.17
8 mile moderate run at 70-75%. I’m going by feel still at this point and not working with the heart rate until we know what my range is. So, I put the effort into it and it was in lots of snow! Seriously, favorite condition to run in is snow. I felt like I was back home in Worcester, MA. I was a much stronger runner with tough winters back there. I hope we get a lot more of the white stuff this year and it’s looking to be a great winter…at least up in the mountains!
Potato-quality picture on my running route…taken while running. It’s so bright and quiet with snow.
Friday 1.6.17
Me, my boyfriend and our mutual friend from back in Indiana who just moved here headed up to Crested Butte on this day. I had an optional cross training day scheduled and debated running but chose to just stick with cross training. Snowboarding is my winter cross training. Being a runner for so long, I’m lacking some lateral balance and snowboarding helps out with that..along with making my arms work. Pushing myself up after strapping in a bunch of times leaves me feeling sore for the first few trips up. Also, between the way I have to twist myself and the inevitable crashes, I get some flexibility going. I didn’t realize I could put my toes on the ground over my head until I hit the powder pretty hard on my last run and the weight of my board forced it. That’s more than I accomplished in yoga this week for sure!
The magical board of forced flexibility!
Saturday 1.7.17
I had my long run scheduled today but the weather took a turn for the worse. It’s still so bad up there that the resorts are shutting down due to too much snow. I didn’t even know that was a thing for ski resorts but the avalanche situation was already getting crazy and they were already blowing up the snow like crazy on Friday. So, I elected to wait until we get back down to get the long run in. You know it’s bad if I moved a run to avoid snow!
Sunday 1.18.17
This was scheduled to be an optional off day. But, since I was shut down due to weather on Saturday, I got in my 12 miles after snowboarding in the morning and a five hour drive home. As mentioned before, I was beat. The run felt fine with the first half at 60-75% and the second half at 70-75%. It was rough to just get out the door and all I wanted to do was sleep afterwards, but miles are miles and they got done!
____
And well, that’s this week. I’m building. It’s early. And I’m enjoying the combination of cross training so I don’t get stiff and burned out. This week is off to a good start and I don’t have any distant snowboarding trips planned. We’ll probably hit up a closer mountain this weekend since the conditions are going to be insane! That makes it easier to get the scheduled miles in without stressing over when or where.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recap: 1.30.17 – 2.5.17 (G.O.A.T edition)

Administrative Note. Building an Empire!

A Lot Can Happen in A Year!