I Meant to Start this 5 Years Ago

I’m no writer and really, I barely like writing at all. That’s probably what took so long. I have a lot more to write about today than I did 5 years ago though.
I think there’s a lot that can be learned from my mistakes in the running world. I figure why not share them especially when I know for a fact there are some other women still stuck back where I was. I won’t try to hang on the negatives too much but I think it’s a good place to start because a lot of positives showed up as a result.
It’s all just my opinion based on personal experiences too. So, relax dudes and ladies ;).
I won’t ever use names or identifying attributes because this isn’t about revenge. It’s about turning my negatives into something that can help runners and even non-runners. This stuff applies to anybody who’s gotten in a tight spot with addicts and other bad people.
Yes, that stuff is all over the running world. Or maybe I still just think it is because that’s, unfortunately, what was happening all around me for over a decade. I’m glad I didn’t choose to become that way though. It’s the lazy way of life. I don’t say that in an elitist way either, I just know that’s not me. I think the way I am is what caused a lot of the disagreements with that group. I just never fully got them.
You don’t have to be an addict or a bad person to unknowingly get manipulated by addicts or bad people. They are pretty good at appearing normal or like a helpful martyr but they’re not. They don’t do anything that doesn’t benefit them in some way. You can be smart as hell and still get tricked. I assumed all runners were healthy and that was my mistake. Still, I had a hunch to get away and with a push from good people around me, I did.
It honestly wasn’t easy to get out of my old, dark running crowd though. Leaving them, resulted in my name being dragged through the mud and living in fear for a bit. But, in reality, none of that mattered. It’s a small group of people who live in this odd depressing world of doing nothing with their lives and getting too involved in other people’s lives. It doesn’t even include physically running anymore for some of them.
I debated disabling comments on here because of that group but decided against it. My old running crowd is very much filled with those who do not want to work. Some use relationships to live for free, the government or parents. They literally spend most of their day online trolling running message boards and creating a whole controlled world for their benefit. It’s hard to explain I guess. Running is a thing of their past but they still live in their delusions getting by using others or “coaching”. These are in fact adults and many of them have alcohol and prescription drug addictions. I’ve even been recently harassed by some of them still wanting money from me or being angry that I cut them off.  I don’t want this to be a negative place here and assume I’ll get some visit, but I’m no longer letting this group control me and instill fear in me. If they want to say something, it will be a great example of what I dealt with and moved on from.
Being clear of all the bad stuff, I no longer get it. Why be so miserable? Why is everything revenge and control? Why do you have to focus on everybody else and gossip rather than improve your own lives? Why can’t there be a balance between running and the rest of life?
I’m lucky to have good friends now who taught me that group running isn’t about gossip, manipulation, and other detrimental behaviors. I actually have running buddies like me now, who just run and enjoy it and are actually pretty talented. They are proof that you don’t have to be a Type-A, overly-competitive person to run really well. You can have a balanced life and real friends and actually run happy.
This will probably be a lot about how people and situations can get intertwined with the very mental sport of running, which can also be a very solo sport where you can be your best friend or worst enemy. In the end, it’s really all about smart choices and making running yours. That’s how it started for me and that’s where it’s at now. :)
Anyhoo, because I’ll forget…I guess here’s a preview of a few upcoming posts I’d like to write:
1. Don’t let a coach who has no control over his own life control yours.
2. There’s good sponsors and there’s bad sponsors. I’ve had both.
3. Don’t just run. You need a life.
4. Good coaches who planted the good seeds early on
5. The lame story as to how running started
6. A club that’s doing it right vs. A club that is doing it wrong
7. Woman runners who are stronger than they think they are
8. Even Olympians can be negative jerks
9. Pure running is and always will be the best thing that ever happened to me.
10. My Hundos exist for reasons!
11. Leaving bad people and situations behind.
12. Isolation isn’t the answer. Good people are the answer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recap: 1.30.17 – 2.5.17 (G.O.A.T edition)

Administrative Note. Building an Empire!

A Lot Can Happen in A Year!