January 1st. …Time for the standard goals write-up!

Ugh, I’ve been sort of dreading but looking forward to this.
On one hand, the party is over. I have been a normie for a bunch of years and have had some total running and non-running carefree fun while traveling, figuring out what I wanted to return to school for, and even doing fun runs with obstacle courses over tires in swamps and hay bails in the middle of freekin Iowa (and was first overall woman believe it or not)! And I will be totally honest that I had no clue it was some CrossFit style thing till I got there. I thought it was just a trail race!
On the other hand, I know I can’t leave this Earth without another trip around the crazy running circuit. I miss that auto-pilot feel of running a few pre-sunrise miles before I’m even awake in the morning. That feeling of running being easier than sitting. I kept forcing myself to come back but really knew it wasn’t time before now. I can just kind of tell by how I’m handling life overall now. It’s less stressful and I have direction and goals that I’ve been actively working toward for awhile now.
____
I just got back from holidays in Maryland with my boyfriend, Sean, and his family. I figured with the training reset from coach and the trip back east, it was a good time to start fresh and get focused. Running back east in was great. Humidity and rain felt so good. I miss it. This gal ain’t cut out for dry weather. There’s Trolley Trails everywhere that run through tree tunnels along rivers and it’s amazing. Baltimore also has a crazy race over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge that’s on my bucket list…and I need to do it decked out in all that Maryland flag flair!
Trolley Trail tree tunnel in Catonsville, MD just outside of Baltimore.
Also, it was good to spend a week with the folks I don’t get to see every day but wish I could. I hadn’t had a good laugh in awhile and it was a fun week. I’m pretty excited about our group trip to Steamboat, CO trip next month!
So..ANYWAY..
The Big Scary Goals!
Consistency: With work and classwork over the past few years, it was easy to say “This run doesn’t matter.” “I have an exam.” “I have to finish that ton of homework.””Arrrrg work killed me” Yeahhhh, no. That’s not great. It just makes running harder when runs are skipped, but I won’t beat myself up because, kids, school is important…as is employment, obviously. Running does help clear my head so I can work and I need to remember that.
Diet: I worked from home in IT/Tech Support for much of the past 2.5 years. That meant I grazed…a lot. I don’t freak about putting on weight but I feel my  bad snacking sucked some of my energy. Those who know me, know I love Cheez-Its, Peppermint Patties, Pizza, and some tasty craft beer (lookin’ at you Bell’s Two Hearted!). Usually, I’d get the good food in too but I was just skipping that this year. Somehow, higher-level math is easier with a slice of pizza hanging out of my face! I missed out on this during my first degree. I was always training, ate stupid healthy and was starving in the computer lab all the time with a dead brain. Great job, me! So, I’ve talked to a nutritionist and can hopefully get started soon with finding my dietary sweet spot.
Strength: In the physical sense, this is something I have ALWAYS neglected. I do my PT exercises a few days per week now but before that, I would just run and I could get away with it. But I want to see what I can do in the gym more, especially with posture since I have rounded shoulders when I run. I go to a really great climbing gym and I’d like to work on my climbing abilities anyway. Might as well mix that with running. Also, I’ve been neglecting my Yoga classes. That’s no bueno. — On the mental strength side, I’m better but there’s always room to grow. I’m not walking on eggshells or hiding because of somebody trying to bring me down. I’m not afraid to just run what I want and share it like everybody else does. I want to practice this strength more in 2017 because none of the things in relation to what I’ve dealt with in 2016 and years before matter as long as I’m safe – safety is the line still as it was in 2016. Who cares if somebody has an opinion of me though? I’m me and I’m not so bad. Why should I hide? I have opinions too. We all do. A person can have an opinion of you and your running all he or she wants, and that doesn’t magically give that person any control over you. And even in tough times, the good people outweigh the bad and the world is a happy place.
Race for Fun: I don’t take running seriously and that’s what has worked best for me. I did a local race circuit back East years ago and I hated it. It wasn’t races I was picking but I couldn’t say no with the free entry and some extra dough. I’d be sore, bored, and just counting down miles to the end at those. But, I remember when I started marathons after high school, all I wanted to do was Boston and NYC every year. At the time, those were the two races I thought were the coolest and I busted arse to qualify for Boston on my first try at age 18. It was easy because it was fun. Forcing myself to do certain races doesn’t fly. So, I’ve got a few picked out this year for reasons that make me happy. No serious stuff ever again! So, in a sense, the party will never really end. And having fun is all great, but running is not going to be all of life ever again either.
Give Back: I tossed out an idea on my Facebook the other day and got a little positive feedback. If I get all speedy, I get elite entries and those are free. So, for every elite entry I get, I’d like to buy an entry to the same race for another runner. I’ll make it more formal if I get to that point, but I thought I’d toss out the idea. Running, at all levels, has given me so much. And it feels so good to give. Plus, those race entries ain’t cheap! And some talented, deserving runner may need some help! Feel free to steal the idea too!
____
Races: 
I’m keeping it minimal and pretty open. Less is more and something can always be added if it looks awesome. Still, I never raced a lot and the idea of a road race every weekend makes me crazy. I plan to mountain lake hop with my Hobie 16 this year rather than store it at the local reservoir and that’s going to take up weekends for sure.
Spring:
Travel to one marathon in April with several local tune-up races as needed before that. This marathon is definite at this point. I’ll give details as it gets closer.
Hawthorn  is in May this year. It will be my 7th year. I go no matter what kind of shape I’m in because that 5K loop is on my favorite trails ever. Plus, I get to see a bunch of friends.
Summer:
Shorter local races between 5-10K while training for fall marathons. I’m hoping to race up in the mountains because I like it better up there. It’s much more scenic and the air feels cleaner.
Fall: 
Hoping to double up on two marathons; one in October and one in November. Also, as mentioned before, I’d like to hit up that Chesapeake Bay Bridge Run while wearing all things Maryland Flag because I’m obsessed! (I will explain the joke at some point.)
And as usual, nothing is in stone with me. I go with the flow…and the flow is going good. That’s it so far. No big deal. No pressure. Just fun running a bit faster, right?!
The first weekly recap will be Sunday January 8th. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recap: 1.30.17 – 2.5.17 (G.O.A.T edition)

Administrative Note. Building an Empire!

A Lot Can Happen in A Year!